Saturday 16 January 2010

Chocolate drizzle biscuits

I got a lovely surprise this morning.  Not just the fact that I woke at 9am naturally, with no child, no alarm, because hubby got up and dealt with Lillia and let me sleep.  But also because I got these in the post...


I ordered some notelets from the brilliant moo.com to use as thank-you cards for Lillia's Christmas gifts.  I used some of the photos I took during the snow and I am so pleased with how they've turned out!  Thank goodness they arrived too, because now I can send out our thank-yous and stop feeling guilty that I haven't done it yet.

It has been a rainy, cold and windy Saturday.  So, as well as several very detailed games of "hedgehogs and rabbits go to the pantomime" with Lillia (her imagine works overtime with these roleplay games and the rules and stories change rapidly...can't think who she takes after!)  We also decided it was just the kind of day for baking biscuits.  So that's just what we did...


Mmmmmm!  It's that melted chocolate that sets me off drooling! 


Want one?  Well, I can't hand one to you through the computer screen but I can give you the recipe.  This is an old recipe, extracted one day from the depths of the internet, then modified over the years so it would work better for my personal tastes and methods.  I prefer to use the US method of measurement in cups, so much easier than faffing about with scales, but I have given the weights in case you prefer to work that way...

Ingredients:
  • 3 quarters of a cup (75g) of self-raising flour
  • 1 and a half cups (75g) porridge oats
  • 1 heaped half cup (75g) of caster sugar
  • 100g butter
  • 2 tablespoons golden syrup
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
 What to do:
  • Preheat the oven to 180c (gas mark 4).  Pop some greaseproof paper on a baking tray.
  • Sift the flour into a bowl then mix in the porridge oats,sugar and ginger (if using).
  • Melt the butter, syrup and milk in a saucepan and stir until it is all melted.  Then add it to the dry ingredients and mix it well.
  • You should get a kind of lumpy moist mixture that you can mould with your hands. Squish some of the mixture in your hands and make balls about the same size of a large walnut, flatten the balls in your hands then place on the lined tray and neaten them up a bit into round biscuit shapes.  I sometime use the base of a mug or glass to squish them a bit when they're on the tray, so they look evenly flat, but that's because I'm a control freak.
  • Bake in the preheated over for anout 15 minutes, or until golden brown.  Leave to cool for about 5 minutes, then you can move them to a plate to cool completely.
  • Now the most important part - break some chocolate into a heatproof bowl.  This a difficult job that requires a lot of expertise and so is best left to children who really know what they're doing in this area.
  •  
  • Place the bowl of chocolate onto a pan of boiling water and stir until the chocolate has become a melty gloop.
  • Use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over the biscuits in various shapes.
  • Lastly, lick the spoon and bowl before children, husband or any other bugger can get there before you.

Oaty biscuits with chocolate drizzle...done.

Hope you enjoy them!
;)

2 comments:

  1. 'Gosh' they do look delicious and if it's got chocolate then I'm in!!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend,

    Nina xx

    ps. it's been glorious sun shine here alllllll day - sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biscuits look mouthwateringly tasty!
    I have an award for you at bellascountry.

    Bellaboo x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so please drop me a note :)