Monday 2 August 2010

The Happy Hooker Backwards Project

I had an exciting delivery this morning! 


I ordered some 100% acrylic yarn in this lovely combination of colours in order to make a buggy blanket and matching hat using the pattern on page 281 of the Happy Hooker book...


You will notice pink features...Yes, we found out last Friday that we are having another little girl!  The current little lady of the house is very pleased indeed, she had said she didn't mind either way but I think she really wanted a sister.  For me it's great, I already have everything I need and I won't have to learn a new way of nappy changing!  Plus hubby will be outnumbered entirely which amuses me greatly :)

So now I know what colour blankets I need to be crocheting, what fabrics I will use for toys, and what names I need to narrow down.

The pattern I started with my new yarn today is the "Seija Set" Baby Hat and Stroller Blanket (buggy blanket to us in the UK!)  Within 20 minutes of the postie delivering the parcel I had made a start...


I am very excited to get started on a crochet project, it seems like ages since I last picked up my hooks. I think this one is going to be a lot of fun. How fortunate we are to be having a winter baby! It will be the snuggliest winter baby ever.

Coincidentally this pattern happens to be the very last pattern in the Happy Hooker book which, in the words of the fictional Cary Bradshaw, got me to thinking – what if I just kept going? 

So an idea formed in the messy crafty recesses of my mind – a project! Why don’t I just make it all, pattern by pattern, from back to front? It so happens that the next (or rather, previous) few projects contain some rather nice baby things, like the monkey hat and blanket, and the softies, which at the time the idea formed seemed to make a hell of a lot of sense.  And so the Happy Hooker Backwards project is born! It will take me a while of course, I am not made of yarn for start, nor money, nor time. Plus there’s the small matter of having a baby at some point in the next three months or so, that might slow things down slightly. But darn it I shall keep going until I have made every pattern in that book! Even if I am hooking away in the birthing pool…ok maybe not but you get the idea.

I will of course be keeping you updated every step of the way.  Now do excuse me, I have a hat to finish off...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ali What a brilliant idea!!! I love the Happy Hooker book - it's my very favoruite crochet book and I go back to it again and again. Except right now my friend Lisa has it as she's new to crochet and wanted a book to look at.

    And big congrats on another daughter. How exciting to be able to plan and prepare appropriately.

    Best wishes, fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I have found having a crafty focus is quite good while in labor. I was concentrating so hard on finishing my brother-in-law's Christmas gift that I was only an hour away from giving birth to my second before I even gave the labor much notice. So I say, crochet away! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the combination of colours, look forward to seeing the finished articles, all of them!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so please drop me a note :)