Thursday 31 March 2011

5 years ago today...


5 years ago today I was still in hospital in a daze wondering how on earth I would ever be able to look after the tiny helpless creature in my arms.  Well, it was a long road but somehow we have made it through five years without too much incident and we have a perfect, gorgeous, opinionated, clumsy, clever, beautiful, funny, quirky, firey, skinny, energetic, imaginative, sensitive, lovely 5-year-old girl to show for it.

She is in school today then afterwards we are treating her to afternoon tea at the Cadburys Cafe, I don't know who is more excited about this :)  As is our tradition I made her one of her presents.  This year she chose something out of my Curious Creatures for Immature Adults book.


A pretty floral print doll perhaps?  A cuddly princess?  A cute little animal? Nooo...


She chose "Mr Skelly", the cheese-eating, dancing skeleton!  Not one to disappoint my daughter I set to work last night and after three hours of sewing and stuffing, a bit of swearing, and two glasses of prosecco our very own Mr Skelly was finished...


Of all the things I have made her Mr Skelly was the one that has had the biggest reaction.  She came downstairs to see her pile of pressies with Mr Skelly on top and ran squealing across the living room yelling "Mr Skelly Mr Skelly!"  So it was well worth the effort :)


I have to say I do rather love him.  He is settling in nicely and is currently sat in the armchair opposite me reading Lillia's new copy of The BFG.

Now earlier this week I promised you a dancing skeleton and a cake the colour of a dead fish.  Having delivered on my first promise it is only fair I share with you the cake.  Before I do I must first explain.  I made a fabulous (and huge) two layer madeira cake sandwiched together with jam and buttercream.  I then went to ice it using ready-to-roll royal icing but failed miserably.  I just couldn't get it to look like anything other than a big white lump of wibbly wobbliness.  So hubby whipped up a ton of buttercream and we dyed it pink, not counting for the fact that buttercream is slightly yellow and therefore the whole thing went a kind of dead salmon colour...


Believe me it tasted divine...it just looked like salmon mousse.

I am now off to get ready for the next round of celebrations and chat to Mr Skelly about cheese.  Happy 5th birthday Lillia!  


5 comments:

  1. Oh my! Your Skelly is BRILLIANT!! I will check out that books!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book is officially next on my purchase list. Mr. Skelly turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a big girl! I love that she picked out Mr. Skelly. Let's just say the cake is a lovely shade of peach or something like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lucky lovely little girl, she looks so happy with Mr.Skelly, I love to taste the cake though!!! Brilliant Mum you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Lillia, what a lucky girl to have a mummy who can sew a Mr Skelly and produce a gorgeous yummy birthday cake, must look out for that book.
    lily x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so please drop me a note :)