Wednesday 22 June 2011

Happy Hooker Backwards Project #37

When I was hit (like a ton of bricks) with post-natal depression I shelved my mission to work my way backwards through the Happy Hooker book for a while until I could once again get my head around the challenge. Then over this past weekend I suddenly felt the need to pick up the book and get on with it...must be a good sign, right?
Happy Hooker Backwards - "Cozy Pod Creatures"

I am very glad I waited as I had to basically do my own version of this pattern. It rather made my brain hurt...but I got there in the end!

Cozy Pod Creatures - ready to make!

So the fourth project from the back of the book is "Cozy Pod Creatures" by Cynthia Combs, cute little covers for an iPod.  Only one problem: the pattern is for the old style iPod and is based around a vinyl cover for the front...not much good for the new touch-screen iPods and phones.  So with quite a lot of counting, a fair bit of light swearing and a lot of unravelling (the yarn and me) I eventually managed to come up with my own altered version. 

My own version of the Cozy Pod Creatures

I kept the front open to allow for full access to the touch screen.

Cozy Pod Creatures

Taking inspiration from the original pattern I embellished my iPod cover into a a little cat. It is is definitely cute...
My own version of the Cozy Pod Creatures

I left no access for earphones as I currently listen to all music via my iPod speakers at home.  I may have to rethink this for when I start commuting again so I can show off my iPod cover whilst listening to the Craftypod podcasts on the train :)

All in all a very cute little project and very quick too (once I had worked it out I had the whole thing completed in an afternoon in between feeding times, school runs and playing peek-a-boo.)  Another plus of this project is it is small and therefore cheap to do!  Here's the breakdown:
  • Cost - about 50p - I reckon I used less than an 8th of a 100g ball.
  • Yarn - Wendy Serenity luxury cotton DK. First time I've used this and I am now addicted! Such a lovely yarn :)
  • Hook - 3mm
  • Difficulty - Well for me it was a right bugger to do, but now I have it worked out I think my next go at it will be very easy indeed.
  • Overall happiness with finished object - for the fourth time in four projects I am...delighted!
As I had to completely rewrite the pattern and only used the original in the end for inspiration I think I can quite happily share my version with you, so as soon as I have had time to write it up and take accompanying photos I shall :) 

Right now Lillia is at a friend's to play and Phoebe is with her granny for the afternoon, so I shall be making a cuppa and scrolling through some crafty blogs on my very cosy iPod :)

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love that! You know, I think it's the first I've seen with an open frontage! If you do get the chance to write it up, I for one shall be ready hook in hand!

    Hx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute, and well done working out the pattern on your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ali - hellooooooo.

    I love the hot pink iphone case with a little cheeky cat back.

    Here's hoping the weather picks up soon - it's been raining here all day.......again!

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so please drop me a note :)